May 18, 2009

Live Interaction- Testing myself

Summary
For my live interaction, I laid out a twenty dollar bill on our coffee table at my house. I put it in a place that everyone in the house would pass during the day. My experiment was to see if I could tell who took the money by reading their facial expressions. I was to leave the house and go hang out with friends, then come back. If the money was gone ask to see who took it and see if I could tell they were lying.
The twenty dollars were gone and my test began. I went to my little sister first to ask her if she had seen my twenty dollars. She said no and continued what she was doing. I went to go find my mom; she said the same with a little added motherly instruction not to leave money around unless I wanted it to get taken. She showed a smirk using her nostrils and upper lip. This showed that she wasn’t surprised that I had lost money and that she was irritated that I left money lying around or that she didn’t get it. Then I went to my step-father and asked him. He said he never saw money on the table and then I asked him more questions about if he knew who took it. He got aggravated that I was pestering him and he clinched his fist. This set me off and I asked him if he would please give me my money back and he said that it wasn’t mine it was his because he has a job and I don’t. In the end I could tell it was him who had the money by his body actions.
Connection
I think that doing this experiment helped me to know how hard it can be to read one’s expressions. It was the most challenging to ask questions then listening and comprehending what one was saying while trying to read their face. I know now that it is a difficult job and it takes a natural skill and/ or a constant practice to see what one is truly saying with their face. I have a new kind of respect for detectives and negotiators. They have a job that only a few in this world can truly do with confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment